Friday, September 9, 2016

HOME AGAIN JIGGITY JIG PART 2.


Another road. Life is full of them and yesterday I took a side trip to deliver the three wethers to their new home. That is worthy of a blog entry for another time in itself. But it took the starch  out of me. After a fast three day trip to Fresno and then the unloading of loom (another blog entry in the future) plus the boys trip to new home I was pooped! 
So here I am today trying to make up for an empty promise. That part two of the Fresno trip would be up for your viewing pleasure.  The road above is the road to my hay man's place in Fresno county "the golden west side" as we lovingly call the great agricultural expanse west of Hwy 99 .
"Hey it is hay" pun intended. This lovely field is one of many that my hay man Brett grows in his alfalfa operation. It is a second year field and we have had three loads (two last year and one this year) from it. All cuttings were lovely and the dairy quality test* hay we got earlier this summer was from this field. The load I picked up on this trip was from another equally nice field in a different location. 
  
 Loved the fact that Brett was flying our flags in his yard and asked for permission to take a photo to share on my blog. Wouldn't it be great if more people did the same thing? 
Hay picked up 25 bales on that day and another 35 are in storage on his property for me to pick up in October before autumn kicks in with some wet weather. Hauling and then unloading in the rain  is no fun!

Next stop was the studio / warehouse of my friends where I am lucky to have the chance to purchase this loom.  And she is a beauty! First off allow me to credit this photo to Sheep and Shepherd blog. My loom is identical to the one in the photo but mine is completely 
 
unassembled. It is a 45 inch weaving width 1946 JL Hammett counter balance rug loom . The counter balance is in reference to the way the harnessses (shafts) which contain the heddles work. Another post of its own is loom anatomy. The photo below is my loom. Use your imagination please. I am very sure it will be quite lovely once it is put together and dressed. Which is weaver for having a warp on it and then let the weaving commence!


 Time to put some home made sour dough bread into the oven. I am planning on getting in a few post here between cheese and soap making in the coming week. Also working on getting my live feed on visitors back up as it went south yesterday. I love to see where everyone is viewing our post are from. So check back soon.

PS Ah late to the party. I forgot about the asterisk above in the hay portion of my post. *look for the post about hay Heading Out Again for the explanation about test hay.    


 

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At September 9, 2016 at 4:43 PM , Blogger Buttons Thoughts said...

Beautiful loom that will be fun.

 
At September 9, 2016 at 8:16 PM , Blogger Leigh said...

Lovely loom! I look forward to the day when I can set mine up again.

You are so fortunate to have someone who specifically grows hay! It's hard to find good hay in my part of the country. Definitely no alfalfa. Mostly folks just cut their fields of weeds and sell it as "hay."

 
At September 9, 2016 at 9:09 PM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Yes it will! I am very excited to have a new to me floor loom. Spinning will commence soon on three bags of Shetland roving that will be the weft for the blanket for my Murphy bed in my studio/guest room.Thanks for the visit!

 
At September 9, 2016 at 9:14 PM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Thank you Leigh. I am so excited about having a floor loom once again.My Baby Wolf is a floor loom but not a sturdy rug loom type as this and my Gilmore that I parted with about seven years ago. Right also on the hay. Not only good quality product but from a face I have known for about 25 years. That makes the six hour drive with the trailer worth it!

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. Hope to see you again soon!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home