Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Oh Christmas tree and scones and spinning


 
Twas the week, er 5 days, before Christmas and things are gearing up around the farm . Yesterday the 19th  husband Geoffrey and I took a drive up towards Mt. Lassen Volcanic National Park. Armed with a saw and the annual forest service permit to cut one tree we were on a mission. Our first stop about 40 minutes from home didn't yield a tree. Just and area of beauty that had few if any young trees in it. A quick U turn took us back from the direction we came and about 10 minutes later the boots hit the ground and we were off again. 
 
 
 
The boots are mine and after loosing sight of husband several times we finally met up in an area that had a nice selection of young Noble Fir trees.














And after a close inspection of a tree I had pointed out the harvesting began. Please note Geoffrey is harvesting I am the self appointed photographer.

Then after the tree was carried by the self appointed harvester back to the truck it was gently laid in the bed tagged with the appropriate sticker so we weren't pulled over for harvesting in a restricted area and we were on our way home.




Where I promptly jumped into making two batches of Cranberry-Orange Scones . One for the house and the other batch for my friend Janet across the way on the cattle ranch. Janet and her husband have been knee deep in calving season leaving little time for baking or sleeping or just about any other activity. Anyway I owed her as she generously gave me the cream from her Jersey milk cow Punkin to use in the recipe. 

Today I went to town for supplies and to finish up my Christmas shopping for the tree harvester pictured above. And no I can't say just yet what I got as it could spoil the surprise. But I had a nice surprise when I came home this afternoon to this. 

 
And it won't be long before I pull up a chair and do a bit of this. 
 

10 Comments:

At December 22, 2016 at 10:58 AM , Blogger Leigh said...

How fun that you can cut your own Christmas tree. I'ts lovely. The scones look really good too.

 
At December 22, 2016 at 10:27 PM , Blogger Goatldi said...

It is fun Leigh. Growing up in a small town in central California we always got our trees at a lot. I imagine one could secure a permit and make the drive up to the eastern Sierras to cut a tree but we never did. Now living in such close proximity it would be a shame not to do it. And thank you yes the scones were delicious!

 
At December 25, 2016 at 6:18 PM , Blogger Thistle Cove Farm said...

Merry Christmas, Mrs. T, to you and yours. The spinning wheel looks ready to go and I'm ready to go to bed. It's past 9 on Christmas night and I'm tuckered.

 
At December 26, 2016 at 2:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terry...your holiday looks like it was peaceful and relaxing. Glad you were able to bring Janet some comfort...so bitterly cold the past few days. Last night our pond froze over. The otters were having a heck of a time busting through for breathing holes. Sounded really odd!

Hey! We got a dog! Looking forward to telling you about her when next we visit. Miss our hanging out. Having a job is very time consuming as you well know. Bah! But I do like the job.

Bet your place is greening up like crazy! Nice! The goatie boys here are fat and furry and soft. That's all for now...say hi to Janet!

 
At December 26, 2016 at 10:04 PM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Hope your Christmas night slumber was good. Know you are burning the Christmas candle at both ends with critter care and winterizing chores. Thanks for stopping by.

 
At December 26, 2016 at 10:06 PM , Blogger Goatldi said...

That is huge having your pond freeze over. Ice Skate rentals may be in your future.A dog? A dog? I want to meet him/her.

Will pass on Christmas greetings to Miss. Janet for you.

 
At December 27, 2016 at 6:18 PM , Blogger Donna OShaughnessy said...

I lived in the Black Hills in the '80's and we used to cut our own tree the same way as you. I clearly remember one Christmas where I had a 17 month old on my back and a 3 month old in my arms traipsing through deep snow behind my (then) husband who harvesting this huge tree. We were such idiots but we had such fun. Yes, both infants survived and are doing well.

 
At December 27, 2016 at 10:27 PM , Blogger Goatldi said...

I could see you doing that. As far as the kiddos surviving well that is what a great childhood is made of!

 
At January 15, 2017 at 9:16 AM , Blogger Saundra said...

I found your blog at Mama Pea's. I wanted to let you know that if you order fabric from JoAnn's be sure to specify you want your fabric in one piece.
Mine arrived in two pieces--useless for what I had planned. I really like your post & your farmland. I live in Frazier Park,CA at 4800 ft. I will be following your blog. Stay warm. (Oh, I'm a 76 y.o. "prune picker" like yourself & I to remember when CA was truly the "Golden State."

 
At January 15, 2017 at 11:00 PM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Saundra thanks for stopping by and for the tip about the fabric Mama Pea used. I checked and it seems my Jo Ann's has it in stock. I will be headed down the hill tomorrow and will let you know how I do. You stay warm also and here's to more rain for our state!

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. Hope to see you again soon!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home