Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Why Walnetto Farm Got From There To Here or We Really Aren't Nomadic People!




We moved from Fresno backwards in many ways. First off we the parents "ran away" a month after our youngest Granddaughter was born. We always dreamed of leaving the area but Geoffrey got a position at a then small rural school district and we settled in. If a teacher leaves a district for another their benefits go back to ground zero with the change. So for one's retirement plans it is better to stay put. And we did for thirty-five years. 

Of course by then the goats were in place for show and production. We had them twenty years at this point and I was in love. Also they were our suppliers of all things dairy. So we tripped off to Mendocino county. We needed to find a farm and soon . We had sold the Fresno house on two acres to the second couple who saw it and we were locked in . It was a good deal prices were up and we owned the home out right. I had a gnawing feeling if we backed out at this point (the house went on the market in late October and we had to be out by January 2nd) we would never leave.

So after much searching in late November we had finally found a place on 4.3 acres in a small town called Redwood Valley half way between Ukiah and Willits . We had the coastal area in mind to land but the prices were out of reach (this was still eight months prior to the big crash in reality) and we had no idea Redwood Valley even existed.

The link below will take you to my blog by another name. You can follow those years on it from 2009 to 2013. You have to look closely behind the Marmee's Pantry link for the beginning. I have tried every which way from loose to get into this blog which is why the blog name is now New Life On The Farm. If anyone has a solution I would love to go back to it. But I think I somehow managed to end it on Blogger but can find it on the internet. I encourage you to go back in time if you have time to spare and get a feel for those lost years.

http://walnettofarm.blogspot.com/2011/08/barn-day-at-walnetto-farm-that-is.html

In very short order those years were a journey in so many lessons. We didn't know it but had landed in a hornet's nest of ugly people who made our farm their target. Finally after waiting two years to put the farm on the market so we wouldn't loose money capital gain wise, the farm was on the market due to the reality crash  for three years. At that point I was entertaining buying a t-shirt that said "We are being held captive in Redwood Valley by the crash". Then finally in September of 2011 a buyer and we left two months later.And yes we lost a considerable amount of money on the sale. But it was part of the journey. There were more weird twist and turns but airing dirty laundry in public isn't my thing so you will just have to take my word on it.

The 42 Acres of Paradise is aptly named. I will tell anyone who will listen that God put us here and it happened in the manner it did for the journey we were on. This property was on the market for quite awhile before we made our offer. So at that point I was stunned that this much land and such a beauty was offered for such an amazing asking price. The house was what we had talked of for so long a log beauty and it was totally off the grid another plus for us. It was "in the middle of nowhere" even though it was thirty minutes to both Redding and Red Bluff to the north and south of us. The nearest neighbors are a mile plus away. The middle of nowhere was coined by the reality agent as a lot of folks don't want to live as we do and they knew it was going to be attractive to a small percentage of the population.

So with the comfort of knowing the few neighbors we had were like minded and the asking price was doable we did it. Little did we know that only two months after Geoffrey finished with the last goat barn and field fencing was up the challenges were to become larger. We had been placed in a home that was turn key . The exception being we needed barns and fencing up for the goats. The only existing structures were the house and the pump house.  Another blessing in having the barns finished and fenced.

If I seem embarrassed about my lovely home it is because I am used to making do or doing without. I am in my heart so grateful that God saw that everything we would need to survive the coming years was in place so I could focus on Geoffrey's journey. That I would not want for shelter for my critters that I couldn't provide. And in addition to the gift of that weren't enough the people who have come into my life in the last six years has been amazing. That includes my blogging friends who have many times kept me afloat especially during the times Geoffrey was so ill he could not do more than move from bed to couch and my time was mostly to myself.

This journey still in progress has hills and valleys. Joy and pain. I have learned much about myself, Geoffrey and those who are family and friends.  It is one of the few things I would do again in a heartbeat. Am I crazy? Maybe don't have the answer to that one but I do know I am blessed and for that I am eternally  grateful.

21 Comments:

At March 20, 2018 at 2:53 PM , Blogger Rain said...

It's so nice to read about your history, your life and how you got to where you are! I really enjoyed this and I am now checking out your old blog. I had a friend who got "locked out" of his blog once, no idea why, he contacted Blogger to no end though and had to start a new one. Too bad this happened to you.

My biggest question is what the heck happened in Redwood with those neighbours???

 
At March 20, 2018 at 3:43 PM , Blogger wyomingheart said...

For Sure... I am as curious as Rain! What did happen in Redwood?... Great to read about your journey...struggles and strife are part of everyone and what we do with them makes the journey the pride of our lives. Thanks for sharing

 
At March 20, 2018 at 3:47 PM , Blogger The Wykeham Observer said...

I enjoyed the post. I can relate to how it was not easy or always positive in getting where I am today. Now I love it here, and neighbors being a mile away really doesn't matter anymore, since they are good ones.

 
At March 20, 2018 at 10:28 PM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Rain re:blog that is what I am fairly confident it happened. I couldn't remember my password ,irrrrr, and I apprently pushed the wrong button. To add insult to injury that blog was started prior to Google eating Blogger. So it makes it even more difficult as they seem to only want one to use the comments by others as help and hide out somewhere in the ether. Poop!

Well as I said dirty laundry and all that. I refuse to malign someone just to retaliate. We became the object of distaste of three households within the area of ours. Even though we were within our legal rights to have the livestock where we had them and the number we had the wife of one of the families spear headed a witch hunt for four of the years we lived there. Kept turning us into the authorities and every time (filing complaint with multiple agencies we were vindicated. The households involved were all good friends and the husband of the head witch (opps did I say that?) worked for one of the agencies.So they would just move on to another "complaint" until we finally left.

Enough said we may have been right but we lived through a good deal of stress and other things that weren't kind.

 
At March 20, 2018 at 10:34 PM , Blogger Goatldi said...

wyomingheart thanks for stopping by. See above please. I did leave out a lot of the fall out from the events. I just can't see rehashing it all now as we have been gone for going on seven years in November. And there are so many reasons that this is where we needed to be not there.

I hope you stop by again. Do you blog?

 
At March 20, 2018 at 10:38 PM , Blogger Goatldi said...

You said a mouthful Wykeham Observer. And isn't is amazing how we don't always see it until up to years later? The order of it all and how it comes together.

The only neighbors I can actually see is the cattle ranch across the way. I won't complain!

 
At March 21, 2018 at 6:35 AM , Blogger Rain said...

That's horrible! What is wrong with people...inbred? LOL...Did I just say that ha ha? But you are so much better off now. Sometimes, though I never think so at the time, things happen for a reason, I guess this happened so that you could find your real home. Hindsight helps that notion.

 
At March 21, 2018 at 6:54 AM , Blogger Susan said...

I live in an area where people move up from The City to be in The Country, then spend all their time complaining about animal noises and farm smells and all the things that make The Country. It is enough to drive you mad. I will very gladly travel through your 'before', as your present is darn interesting on its own!

 
At March 21, 2018 at 9:02 AM , Blogger Mark said...

I love hearing the stories about how people came to place they are. Yours is an interesting one, even though knowing that injustices were part of the journey. Thank you sharing it and being noble in your telling of the difficult times.

 
At March 21, 2018 at 9:04 AM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Exactly Susan!

I always said "they want to live in the country but not see it,hear it or smell it."

I was a good neighbor and refrained from building my buck barn downwind to any of their houses.

Enjoy the read.

 
At March 21, 2018 at 9:08 AM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Well stated Mark.

I have always felt kindness is extremely important. It never hurts to be kind. We don't know what the other person is going through.

I find wasting energy on anger, hate and the like very human but also very wasteful of energy that can be placed in more positive venues.

 
At March 21, 2018 at 9:12 AM , Blogger Goatldi said...

I think they were very sad,angry people. Sort of like so many we see today. They can't control their environment and they lash out at everyone and thing that they can. Party they are missing the point.

I don't know about anyone else but I feel life is way too short for that nonsense.

Do you have a Husky boy in the humane trap this morning?

 
At March 21, 2018 at 9:14 AM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Party should be pity. Darn too hurried to proof before sending. 🙃

 
At March 21, 2018 at 9:32 AM , Blogger Rain said...

No husky boy in the trap this morning...not a hot dog touched, which I found odd since we have so many feral cats here, I thought maybe they might sneak a few bites overnight. Alex and I were pretty sure it was weekenders who are just plain irresponsible and ignorant of anyone around them. We saw the tracks on a Thursday, then saw the dog on a Sunday, haven't seen him since. We covered the tracks and all the pee snow and so far he hasn't been back. I just don't want to be surprised one day with him behind me or something.

I agree, life is way too short for nonsense like that.

 
At March 21, 2018 at 10:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mendocino is one of the most liberal counties in ca. In my experience they think they are better than everyone else. Better you are in conservative country and away from "those kind of people".

 
At March 21, 2018 at 1:10 PM , Blogger Buttons alias Grace said...

40 years ago we moved to our farm it was difficult for sure. I have to say for four years I was isolated but once I got to know my closest neighbour I never regretted our move. I do wish that had not happened to you but life is full of lessons good and bad. I do hope your next journey is smoother and has like minded neighbours. Take care B

 
At March 21, 2018 at 2:15 PM , Blogger Mama Pea said...

Thanks for taking the time to write down some of this background of how you got where you are. So interesting to know the journey that others have taken.

I truly believe that your thoughts, actions and deeds . . . what you put out to the world . . . creates an energy that comes right back at you. In other words, put forth negativity, that's what will come back to smack you in the head and heart. Keep an optimistic outlook and attitude, be kind, helpful and appreciative of the good in life and that, too, bounces right back to you.

You, my friend, have a WONDERFUL outlook and attitude for life.

 
At March 22, 2018 at 1:58 PM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Yes it is however there are alot of good folks there. I think that labels are not a good thing. I understand the need to determine something and then give it an identification we can relate too.

I have made a many friends in my life. For many reasons and I tend to choose friends for the reasons we have in common. I can honestly say I have no friend that we agree on 100 % everything.
But for me that is how we grow, change and learn. Everyone has something to bring to the table and if we refuse to listen we are only cheating ourselves.

 
At March 22, 2018 at 2:00 PM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Right on Buttons! I will never wish away the hard part. My experiences are what has made me who I am today. How do I know that? I have a very smart daughter who told me that <3

 
At March 22, 2018 at 2:04 PM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Thanks Mama Pea. Back a you girlie I have never heard you speak a bad word about anyone. And that says volumes to me.

We seem to live in a world where people often have a need to make themselves better at the expense of someone else. In my opinion that is not a very productive way to live and no one benefits from it.

 
At March 22, 2018 at 2:07 PM , Blogger Goatldi said...

However you can say about me that apparently I really need to proof read things I write more carefully. lol!

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. Hope to see you again soon!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home