Monday, August 6, 2018

Today I Cleaned My House Because I Can't Fight Fire


This photo is pretty much what it still looks like here on our 42 Acres of Paradise. Sometimes it is a bit worse somewhat like a foggy day in January in the San Joaquin valley of California. Sometimes we see blue sky in places and the last two nights we have had stars again. What have I learned from this Carr fire?

Much. Somethings about me and my response to it and somethings about my community. What I can say about this situation is it strikes me very much like the journey with cancer. Until you go through it you really can't fully understand it. It like cancer steals from you. Your sense of vulnerability enlarges. Your logical thought can go to pot. And your emotions can ride high and strong. Even if one is on the fringes, as we are, you still are effected by what is whirling around you.

I have watched my community and friends. Some who have lost their homes and some who have been evacted for week(s) and still don't know if they have a home because the fire flared up again in their area. I see people who are so strong and some who are so stupid. There are always those that will take advantage of others in a precarious situation.

What I have seen the most of is the best of us. The ones who give all from first responders to   volunteers . The quality of those in Shasta county restores faith in my heart. We see so much ugly on a daily basis that it can overshadow the good that still dwells out there. And if what I have seen since July 23 is any indication of it good certainly does out weigh evil. I think that it is evil and drama make a buck for some and sensationalism attracts like minded and keeps it going. Pity.

So today I did what I imagine a lot of us here did. I cleaned my house. Now most of you know that I would clean my barn over my house any day but I did that yesterday. So today it was house day. I got down and dirty . Did some heavy lifting and cleaned under some things that , well never mind, let's just say it had been awhile. And in the middle of all of it I had an epiphany. I cleaned my house because I can't fight fire.

  

10 Comments:

At August 6, 2018 at 5:44 PM , Blogger Leigh said...

Getting caught up on your blog posts. We've had so much rain this year that I feel incredibly blessed. We've had fire problems in the past, but never, never as bad as this. I can only imagine the constant nagging stress that you live with. It's amazing what something like this brings out in people - a glimpse into their true natures. Praying for you Terry.

 
At August 6, 2018 at 6:56 PM , Blogger Mama Pea said...

Heartfelt, thoughtful, meaningful post, Goatldi. Thanks for sharing.

 
At August 7, 2018 at 4:56 AM , Blogger coffeeontheporchwithme said...

When we feel out of control, we look for something that we can control in some way. Hang in there! -Jenn

 
At August 7, 2018 at 8:13 AM , Blogger wisps of words said...

Such wisdom!

 
At August 7, 2018 at 8:18 AM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Leigh you have some pretty intense weather events where you are. I do envy you your Summer rains.
Yes when the pedal is to the metal you can't hide who you really are.
Thank you for the prayers!

 
At August 7, 2018 at 8:19 AM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Thank you Mama Pea. Thank you for reading and responding. <3

 
At August 7, 2018 at 8:21 AM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Bingo! Silly humans for some reason we think we are in control.

 
At August 7, 2018 at 8:25 AM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Wisp of words
You are generous. It is because of the blogging community that I am as upright as I am at this point. Because you all are there to listen I can work things out out loud. You all may get tired of fire post but you are such a blessing to my day.

 
At August 8, 2018 at 9:17 AM , Blogger Susan said...

So very well said, Terry. I do believe that there is more good than evil. And, if not, then the good outshines everything else, no matter the ratio. I am hoping that the natural order of things steps in soon and helps the firefighters. We are similar. In times of stress, I clean. (Otherwise, I can easily ignore it... :)

 
At August 8, 2018 at 4:30 PM , Blogger Goatldi said...

It is interesting isn't it. Was just about to shake your tree you have been too quiet 😊

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. Hope to see you again soon!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home