Saturday, April 7, 2018

Honest Spring Is Here and I Have a Bridge I Can Sell You





Well here I sit all ready to post my photo's I took this afternoon and apparently forgot to upload . Sigh
 .
But I will tomorrow. At least I hope I will as I sit here and listen to the wind and pounding rain. Yes Susan I am not in Kansas anymore. Apparently I am not in the balmy, cool breeze blown 73 degree time warp weather in Nor Cal anymore either.

Having gotten almost three inches of rain since dark o'clock this morning and "THEY" are calling for as much as 2-3 inches more tonight at midnight. Good grief Grace how can that be? The same people who had the audacity to give me an 80% chance of snow three storms in a row only a month ago and then whip it away. Wrong three times and now, now you all get it right? REALLY!!!?

We have a swimming pool in the back of the house yard. The chickens are currently playing hopscotch over lakes in their coop and the goats who share the big barn by the chickens are climbing to high ground and praying. So am I.

Fast forward to Saturday morning. Well how bad was it? Somewhere between 6-7 + inches in 24 hours. Does that count for something? The middle barn that houses Little Trouble, Willa, Waylon and Willie got bombed. Swimming pools (yes the coop had two) for the chickens and my dears in the goat side had no more than 10 square feet of dry straw to retreat to for the night.

The problem was put under damage control with newly purchased bales of straw and my trusty sack of zeolite to help absorb the liquid sunshine. The weather calls (fool me once shame on you) for intermittent showers and possible thunder showers today. Then we are good until Wednesday when more is due. Note to self never complain about lack of rain without sending up specifics.

This is the sister photo to the one above. The first photo is looking north east and gives you good reference as to how close that resort area near the banks came to being inundated. This one looks to the south west. Both taken this morning while running errands and buying straw. Sacramento River for reference.

Two photos for my knitting friend in NY Susan , Leigh and Mama Pea. The first is that almost forgotten photo that should have been in the last post of my newly painted toes at the wheel. But wait check out the alpaca I was spinning . Drafts like a dream into lace - fingerling .


                                 

      

 Please ignore well used patio chair above the wheel. It belongs to the cats really it does ;-)
And while I am at it that 2  should have been 3. The hat photo below comes in both adult and child sizes. It was featured in the knitty newsletter for winter. Fish Hat [Dead or Alive] . I think it would be a great addition to one's wardrobe at any age.   http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter08/PATTfishy.php

And best for last tada! The greenhouse which is still looking like it is owned by a slumlord as I have concentrated on the art of greenhouse house growing not getting her all gussied up in a new dress. That will come this summer when it is too hot to grow in there.


Need to snap some photos for my heritage cherry tomatoes for you. As well as the basil, peppermint, sage, kale, snap peas and so on. I brought these three radishes in they are Easter Egg and I was hoping they were a bit larger but we will see how the flavor is tonight. Not too spicy I trust.



 

9 Comments:

At April 7, 2018 at 2:55 PM , Blogger Leigh said...

Good grief. First you have drought, drought, and more drought. Now you get an ocean of rain! But you've got spinning, knitting, and gardening going on! That's a comfort!

 
At April 7, 2018 at 4:53 PM , Blogger The Wykeham Observer said...

That is way too much water at once. Hope it tapers off awhile so it can actually soak in and not just run off and destroy everything.

 
At April 8, 2018 at 9:07 AM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Well yes. We were out of drought status last year as of late spring. But we don't want to get too comfortable. People are famous for being wasteful in times of plenty as they don't seem to have a better connection as to where their water comes from anymore than their food. 😉

And yes again there are always fiber projects when everything else is impossible 😊

 
At April 8, 2018 at 9:14 AM , Blogger Goatldi said...

You said it! We still have 42 acres of marsh land today. However the goats got put out in the field today. We have one more ,possibly two, days of warmer temperatures and sun. Then the rain returns. Hopefully not as intense.

Looks like a repeat of last year when winter keeps making repeat performances until early June then boom hotter than blue blazes "Hello Summer"!

 
At April 8, 2018 at 5:02 PM , Blogger Mama Pea said...

Oh, that's WAY too much rain at once! The shots of that river are downright scary. You can see the results of all the run off in the color of the water. Not good.

Never touched a spinning wheel myself but do admire anyone who can spin. Lovely looking yarn you're producing.

Those Fish Hats are really cute. Don't they have the cutest patterns for hats these days? And if you want to make and wear a fish hat, you go right ahead.

The green growing things in your greenhouse look WONDERFUL to this gal still living in winter and snow. Have I ever mentioned how much I love radishes? Those pictured may have never made it into the house.

What? You put your darling goats out in the pasture? Can they swim???

 
At April 8, 2018 at 9:49 PM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Mama Pea the Sacramento river originates by Mt. Shasta and flows down to Sacramento and goes out the Delta to sea. I am always in awe of how it becomes so treacherous during a heavy rainfall

Thanks for the spinning compliment. I have been spinning for about 25 years. Still learning but loving every minute!

Red Fish Blue Fish. I think my second oldest grandgirl would not think twice at the wearing the hat. She is 19 and very self assured.

More eye candy for you later. And no worries about my spoiled rotten LaMancha's. As I know Leigh will attest if it isn't in a bucket goats in general won't go near water.

The weird thing about how that barn floods is not in a conventional way as as large amount of water flows through it but because this area is littered with volcanic rock from Lassen's original big bang. It creates a pathway between subterranean boulders and the water then pushes it was to the surface and then creates a problem. There are places one should not drive their truck after a rain of this nature on our property. Ask me how I know this.

In addition to that yesterday and today the sun reigned and the goaties were sporting speedos and sunblock.

 
At April 9, 2018 at 7:38 AM , Blogger Susan said...

Oh, your poor goaties. Mine would levitate rather than walk in water. I might, too, come to think of it. I love that hat and may just have to knit one or two. Heck, I'd wear it! Age give you a certain amount of devilmaycareness. That alpaca fiber is just lovely (as are your toes, although it's cruel to show that you can actually go outside with bare feet, when I can't get out of my boots...)

 
At April 9, 2018 at 8:27 AM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Susan no worries about the goaties toes. As I told Mama Pea Saturday went off without a drop or drip. Sunday also and today is looking good. After today all bets are off.

I agree about a license to be crazy. Not so sure it is because we don't give a darn or the world expects it of us when there is snow in our rooftop.

Which brings me to an incident re:aging . One day while cruising the wine isle at grocery outlet I found a nice red blend from the central coast of California. I then proceeded to check out and a twenty something (thinking she was cleaver) asked me with a big smile and a wink, wink. "Do I need to ask you for your ID?" And turned to laugh with her co-worker .

My initial reaction was to reply "should I assume you are an idiot because you are acting like one?" But didn't figuring class out ranks youth any day.


 
At April 9, 2018 at 8:31 AM , Blogger Goatldi said...

PS I am sorry to flaunt painted toes. But I am as envious of your snow as you are of my warm weather toes. Not that I would want *that* much of it. 😊

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. Hope to see you again soon!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home