Saturday, August 18, 2018

Does This Count As A Garden Or Not?










These photos were taken the night I brought these two home.
This is a Shady Lady. I have a tomato!










This one is a Celebrity and tada! I have  had a tomato. 








These two were on the get 'em while they last for $2.50 each cash and carry. I had wandered into one of my favorite nurseries on Wednesday. I hadn't meant to but I went past it on my way home and figured what the what let's go! So I did. 

I was on the hunt for a little something to put the perk back in my pear and apple trees. You may remember from a couple post back with all the smoke and particulates in the air those two who were perfectly lovely only a few weeks ago are doing their best modern dance interpretation of "tree in pose of death". Ugh! 

So I walked out of Gold Leaf nursery with a 4 ounce bottle of Superthrive and two bargain tomato plants.  I am usually pretty picky about what I put into my soil and plants but everyone I know at the nursery is nuts about this stuff. I figured that it will go on two trees who went from healthy to half gone in a short amount of time and I have tried everything else . Factor in that both of the trees are in a basin of their own planted at least 4 feet away from anything else. We are safe just in case when I start reading the fine print on the bottle and internet and I slap myself silly for buying it. Basically they are going to die so why not try every thing with in reason? 


This is Agatha Apple. She still has green in her bark but her "hair" looks pretty sad. :-(
and yes I name my plants doesn't everyone?


So back to the tomatoes. I figured since last year I nursed a tomato plant through until November and harvested fruit I may do the same with these two. The most that can happen is I am successful and my green house will have two occupants when the temperatures drop and I will have tomato's. The worse that will happen they won't and I will have bought two very pricey tomato's . But there is also the BLT factor.


I wait all winter for the first BLT of summer with our tomatoes. For the last 6  years that hasn't happened . I either went BLT less or bought a Farmers Market tomato. Now don't get me wrong  but it just isn't the same. There is nothing like plucking a sun kissed  tomato and pairing it with the lettuce,bacon and I also enjoy avocado on occasion . So I took the plunge on Wednesday evening and walked out on the deck lovingly caressed the small but ample and ripe Celebrity plucking her from the vine. 

The scent was pure ambrosia that only to be found in the garden in August. While slicing it the aroma drifted upwards and I was transported to summers before when the children were little's and  Geoffrey would pay them a penny a piece for each squashy fat tomato worm they retrieved and stomped. Then I gingerly spread the sour dough bread (lightly toasted) with mayonnaise , oh the indulgence!   Smoshed some avocado on the mayo, placed the slices of tomato on the avocado, placed the slices of bacon gently on the the tomato slices , topping them with red lettuce and lastly the other slice of bread.I then sliced up the middle and plated with some kettle chips . Those are another infrequent indulgence but darn it a girl needs to have fun! 

Then I found myself in a quandary of semantics. Can I honestly say that I had a delicious   BLT with a summer tomato from my garden?  Is possession really 9/10 of the law? Or am I just a lying opportunist who bought her way to gardening rights by being in the right place at the right time?  

10 Comments:

At August 18, 2018 at 5:40 PM , Blogger Mama Pea said...

Yes, yes, absolutely! That tomato came from your garden! If I buy four cabbage plants from the nursery to fill out the row where four of mine started from seed died a mysterious death, is it MY head of cabbage when harvested? You bet. (And I'm sticking to it.) That luscious BLT is yours, girl, it's yours!

 
At August 18, 2018 at 7:03 PM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Awe Mama Pea you are such a cheerleader for those of us who feel gardening challenged for whatever reason. Thank you thank thank you!

 
At August 19, 2018 at 7:40 PM , Blogger Cary ~ My Wool Mitten at Serenity Farms said...

Just visiting the blog to see how you are doing. I think of you every time I see something on the news about the fires! And I say "yes" that is a tomato from your garden ;)

 
At August 20, 2018 at 3:40 AM , Blogger Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Yep. Absolutely. There is nothing better than a freshly picked tomato.

 
At August 20, 2018 at 8:31 AM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Thanks Cary. We need to email and I need more yarn 😊

 
At August 20, 2018 at 8:32 AM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Thank you Kristina my stomach agreed 100% 🙃

 
At August 20, 2018 at 12:07 PM , Blogger Susan said...

I agree with everyone else - anything green and living on your property is a garden plant. I also agree that a homegrown tomato, straight off the vine, surpasses any other kind of tomato.

 
At August 21, 2018 at 9:51 PM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Thanks for your support Susan. I am anxiously awaiting the ripening of the Shady Lady. If she stays green I may just have Fried Green Tomato for dinner with some eggs. Yum !

 
At August 23, 2018 at 6:55 PM , Blogger Mark said...

There are few simple pleasures that surpass fresh produce, especially tomatoes, out of your own garden.

I think it is clear that if you harvested that tomato off the plant when it was at your place, it counts as your tomato fresh from your garden. You go!

 
At August 26, 2018 at 8:42 AM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Thanks Mark! I agree wholeheartedly 😊

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. Hope to see you again soon!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home