Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Normal Is A Setting On A Washing Machine



A person has to love Mt. Shasta and all her glory. 

I don't think that this the view I would get today with the Carr fire still with us but hopeful that perhaps it will happen soon. It is finally getting better daily at our place up the mountain. We got stars two nights in a row and I have hopes of watching the moon dance in between multiple planets in the next few nights if that holds. 





And if I had a camera with me when I went to the barn today chances are good this is what we would see. Sherman really enjoys his daily multiple naps as does his partner in guarding Yarrow. In fact he just about has it down to a science. When you are up often at night strongly suggesting that the bad guys "just keep moving" it frees up days for a good nap with one eye open.






Of course the goats aren't far behind in perfecting the art of lounging. They too seem to have made a life style of it. And KC here is no exception











.





I remember these. Cookies that is baking that is. I haven't turned on my over since mid June. Just got too darn hot. I am so looking forward to Fall weather when I can taste a fresh loaf of home baked sourdough it has been too long. One thing this long hiatus has taught me. Certainly setting up a savings envelope for a solar oven like Leigh at http://www.5acresandadream.com/
has. Next summer if it goes well I won't be without my homemade goodies. 





Speaking of homemade. Now that I have a small but steady supply from Little Trouble of milk I will be whipping up some mozzarella. I may make some cherve and some buttermilk too. Home produced dairy products just make me go wild . 



                                                                                 









Mostly because then I get homemade pizza. Wonder what you get with a solar oven?












Maybe there will be more of this in the future too. We would welcome a cold, wet and snow filled winter . 




















And even though the decision is out. After the cold seasonal winter we just might be welcoming Spring with some of these.


One just never knows what can happen when things get back to normal. 


12 Comments:

At August 14, 2018 at 5:24 PM , Blogger Mama Pea said...

Cool post! Can't tell you how many times I've wanted an "oven" meal lately or had a hankering for a baked goodie. No way until our heat and humidity go away. Far, far away. (Loved the snowy pic!)

How's your husband's battle with shingles going? Can hardly imagine a more painful (and serious!) place to have them than in the eye!!

 
At August 14, 2018 at 7:06 PM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Thanks Mama Pea agreed not being able to use an oven is almost 2nd amendment infringement. And I am so in love with my homemade sour dough and my slow rise "kitchen sink " bread I am a bread snob. Takes me forever to find one that isn't cardboard but also not airhead bread.

Geoffrey saw the ophthalmologist today. Still painful, now the normal blisters shingles's has are sprouting up including on the underside of his eyelids. Resulting in a aggressive glass like scratching pain. Oh joy!

Everything I have read states with optic nerve shingles it can take up to and over a year to loose the symptoms. Especially for ahum older folks. Thank God I am six months younger than he. 😂

I really do hurt for him. Back to the ophthalmologist next week.

 
At August 15, 2018 at 3:02 AM , Blogger Leigh said...

I haven't figured out how to do pizza in the solar oven! But bread and other goodies - yummy!

That's such good news about the Carr fire. Hopefully things will continue in the direction of better.

But I'm so sorry that Geoffrey's shingles are progressing like they are. I had it across the back of my hips, which was terribly painful, but the eyes!

Great photos, all. My favorites are of the goats though. :)

 
At August 15, 2018 at 3:26 AM , Blogger Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

It's been hot here too. I ran my dehydrator yesterday, but nothing will be going today. Too hot.

 
At August 15, 2018 at 8:04 AM , Blogger Susan said...

This is why I am up at 3A. It's the only time I can turn on my oven - as long as what I'm baking doesn't take more than a half hour. I think that a lot of us will be saving towards a solar oven, if this weather pattern keeps up. Poor Geoffrey! My mother had shingles on her face, around her eye. It was awful, but I can't imagine it in, under and around his eye. I hope it doesn't take a year to ease up! Thinking cool thoughts your way...

 
At August 15, 2018 at 8:28 AM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Susan so that is why you are up early each day! My hat is off to you for sure. I have been known to be up at 5AM to bake but I don't think anything will yank me out of bed earlier. Did you see the new sock yarn at Knit Picks?
Wait maybe you shouldn't look!

 
At August 15, 2018 at 8:36 AM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Kristina
You said the D word! I suddenly realized I will be able to run my dehydrator when the upgrade project is finished on the solar. Thanks for jogging my old brain😊
Hope today is a better weather day after all. If not remember my mantra "38 days until Fall!

 
At August 15, 2018 at 8:46 AM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Leigh
Thanks for the information about pizza in solar oven or not. Maybe when I get mine we can have a blogger bake off 😂

And for you kind words about the Shingles kid , er, Geoffrey. Me too. Winter is coming and the firewood is only about 2/3 done. I might have to put my wood spliter hat on. 🙀

 
At August 15, 2018 at 8:48 AM , Blogger wisps of words said...

So happy you are seeing stars in the sky, even now and then. It has to mean that things are getting better.

Same here, no oven. Too hot.

"Working" at night, gives Sherman perfect permission for napping in the day time. :-)))

Sigh for the continuing effects, of Geoffrey's shingles saga.

Have you had the shot to prevent or at least, make them less horrid?

 
At August 15, 2018 at 3:31 PM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Wisp of Words thanks for all your kind and supportive words.

As to the vaccine question no I haven't. I am a fairly healthy individual and had an annoying but not horrible case of shingles when my children were sandbox age. And so far no return visit.

I think that in addition to being a chronic leukemia patient Geoffrey also has an auto immune disease in which he is in a constant state of allergic reaction to himself.
All of the above may have contributed to his being "a sitting duck " for this assault.

 
At August 15, 2018 at 4:40 PM , Blogger Mark said...

Hi Goatld,

Those are some wonderful pics!! I love the mountains, but I must say your napping guardian is a favorite.

I can't imagine shingles on a eyelid or optic nerve. I've had shingles, but only the "old fashion" kind on my ribs. I've got some optic nerve and retina damage as part of my medical journey, but it was all pretty much pain-free while it was going on. Optic nerve shingles sounds awful!

I may be coming to you with some questions soon. I just got a preliminary lupus diagnosis, on top of my CVID. I've been dealing with the primary immune failure for some time, but the autoimmune thing is new to me, and it seems I have a lot to learn. Give Geoffrey my best!

Mark

 
At August 16, 2018 at 8:16 AM , Blogger Goatldi said...

Thanks Mark. Lupus is no fun as I had a fellow employee many years ago with it. And In the '80s they knew less than now! Best of luck to you.

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. Hope to see you again soon!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home